Skip to main content

My Happiness Project Week 6

I should be reading chapter 2 of the book and moving on this week, but quite frankly, I don't have time.  With school winding down there are projects to finish and parties to attend.  I think it is actually fitting that I continue to work on organization this week.  I have printed off a calendar for July and August that will fit in my happiness project book.  This way, I will be able to keep track of all our our commitments and schedule any new ones in.
* * *
Today was a bad day.  It started just at noon.  I was listening to the radio in my classroom and the news reported a boy who, while fishing off a dock, drown.  I felt sick.  No one should lose a child.  I decided I needed to get out of the building for a few minutes, so I decided to tackle a few things off of my list.  I took my broken driver back to Golf Town (it looks like they are going to be able to do something about it) and then headed to Walmart.  It was baby central.  Some days I notice more than others and some days it bothers me more than others.  Today I noticed and today it bothered me. I headed back to school and when I had a few minutes of down time, I took a seat in the staff room and visited some coworkers.  A teacher I work with came in with his wife and newborn daughter.  I could barely look, let alone say congratulations.  I bustled home after work and had to let Calder know that he was getting a babysitter tonight. He was sad.  It made me sad. Calder wanted to be with Hugh and I, but we both had plans.  Our babysitter asked about our baby.  We hadn't seen her since Christmas.  I told her what happened.  Calder and I had a sad good-bye and I headed to Costco to pick up a few things.  Once again, because it was one of those days, it was baby central.  And, on top of that, I saw a teacher who has been, to be honest, quite mean to me in the past (I don't work with her, thank-goodness).  She was pushing a cart with her 2.5 year old and she was pregnant.  I got out of Costco at the blink of an eye.  I had had enough.  I started driving into the city.  My mind was racing.  I pulled over and called Hugh to see if he had a few moments before Grade 8 Farewell started.  Thank-goodness he did.  He was sympathetic.  He is ALWAYS sympathetic. I need him always, but especially in those moments.  I canceled my plans and headed home.  I wasn't in a good place and didn't feel like putting on my happy face. I think I am going to spend a bit of time in my sanctuary tonight.

Comments

  1. So glad you're taking time for yourself tonight. Especially amidst the craziness of year end chaos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I'm wearing

After my Simons' flop, I recently picked up three pairs of jegging capris at Costco. I think they were about $16 each. I got them in grey (above), teal (also above), and white. I absolutely love them and have been wearing them like crazy. My favorite of the two outfits is the bottom one. The jean jacket is Mavi and I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I recently bought another. Exact same style, different wash. This jacket was recommended by both Deena and Christy, so you really can't go wrong. The scarf is one I picked up this spring (Gap). I heart orange and teal. Last week I mentioned trying to define my signature look and that bottom one pretty much encapsulates it. . .
And here it is again. LOVE this one too. Cardigan and scarf are recent purchases along with the grey tee (Old Navy). Jeans are old (American Eagle) and shoes are old (Nine West). I can't wait to recreate this one!
These. Jeans. (Gap). I can't get enough of them. I wore them to professional development o…

Nicknames

All of Hugh's hockey buddies call him "Hammy".

Hugh has been calling Calder "Ham" for a long time. I can't even remember when it started.

Calder started calling Boone "Bean" when he first came home from the hospital. That evolved into "Boone Dog", "The Dog", and just simply, "Dog".  Boone is not a fan of nicknames. Often after we use one of his he will say, "I not Da Dog, I just Boone." Hilarious.

Boone has called Lawson "Dawsie" from about month two. (He called her "baby" for the first two months.) Last week Boone called her Lawson for the first time ever. It took a long time for him to put the "L" on Lawson. He would repeat after us "La La La La, Dawsie". He has said "Lawson" twice since the momentous occasion last week, but I think he got too much attention for using it and has moved back to "Dawsie". "Dawsie" likely isn't going any…

Calder Update

Has Calder ever gotten into sports the last couple of months!?! Below he is at a Rush lacrosse game with Hugh and his buddy Kohen. Calder has been watching baseball, lacrosse, and now the hockey playoffs like crazy. In fact, he has stopped asking to watch any of his "shows". He just wants to watch sports. Oh. . . and add NASCAR to that list. Our boy loves his cars. I don't think that will ever change!

Here is Calder's funniest shark tooth yet. His permanent tooth pushed through in front of his baby tooth!  It was like this for weeks. No gap toothed grin for this boy! Below is the day it fell out!
Calder is doing so well in school. His teacher speaks of what a great student he is. Hearing her say these things actually makes me wish he used a few more manners and a bit more kindness at home! LOL. But, if he is going to be on his best behavior somewhere, I want it to be when we aren't around. Although it was great to hear about Calder's learning successes at pa…