Calder's Brother

After work, I suggested to the boys that we go for a bike ride after supper.  Calder immediately responded, "Kerri's House?"  It sounded like a great idea, so I gave them a quick call and we were all set up.  After we ate, Hugh and I were in Calder's room changing his diaper.  I was reviewing with Calder what we were going to do for the evening.  Curious to see if he remembered Kerri's son, Drew's name, I asked him, "What's Dylan's brother's name?"  Calder answered, "Drew," had a slight pause, and said, "Calder brother Tripp."

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.  Tripp gets talked about in our house.  A bear that Hugh's brother Billy and his wife Abbey gave Tripp is in our bedroom.  We call it, Tripp's bear.  Calder occasionally tries to play with it. Tripp's soother is in a beautiful memory box that Kerri gave me and sits on our dresser.  Calder has pulled the soother out of the box to play with.  Calder knows that the purple charm on my necklace is Tripp's and there are candles around the house that we call Tripp's.  Calder has said Tripp before; he just hasn't connected Tripp and brother out loud before.

On more than one occasion, when I am lying in bed having a sad moment, Calder has grabbed Tripp's bear or his soother and brought them over to me and said, "Mommy feel better?" as he hands them to me.

Comments

  1. This post reminds how much our young children understand. Things that we don't truely think they do. What a precious big boy (big brother) you have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry Scott Holland said "Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it."

    It is wonderful that Calder knows Tripp.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off