On Tuesday, I had this brilliant post formulated in my head. Then just before supper the power went out. Although the internet went down with the power, I still could have just written it on the computer to publish in the morning. Instead, I took full advantage of a sick child (who slept on the couch most of the evening) and a husband who was in the city (at his Grade 8's Farewell).
And also did some texting. But mostly I read (There was a moment that I thought I should conserve the power on my cell phone in case it the power took its sweet time coming on, but it was short lived. I figured that I could always go charge it in the van. Hugh was glad that it didn't get to that. He pictured me not getting the garage door open (I would have had to have manually open since there wasn't any power). Then he pictured me sitting in the van dying of carbon monoxide poisoning. I wish he would have given me a little more credit when this elaborate daydream was running through his head! I wasn't going to waste my time sitting in a dark, cold garage while it charged! LOL)
Then yesterday was a bit of a crazy day. To start with, after being up 4 times during the night, Calder puked all over the couch at about 7:30 am. Hugh and I had to do some serious planning to get figure how we were going to look after our sick boy. It was Hugh's last day with students and I had a speech to say at Grad. It is the wind-up to the end of the year.
Once it was sorted out. I got dressed in my "go-to" dress for the spring/summer. I purchased it with my personal stylist, Deena's, help while we were in Toronto.
I put it on VERY carefully yesterday. Not because the fabric is fragile, nor to save my hair from getting wrecked.
I put it on carefully, because the last time I wore it (the Teacher's Superannuation Banquet), I put it on BACKWARDS. And wore it out of the house! And didn't realize it was on backwards until we had been socializing for upwards of an hour!
In fact, I noticed just as Hugh and I were on our way up to get our second drink. My necklace had slipped under the front of my dress. When I pulled it out, I felt something a bit strange. It was only a moment before I realized it was THE TAG. I am sure I turned bright red. In any case, I quickly turned to Hugh and told him I had to hit the ladies room.
At that exact moment, I ran into fellow blogger, Dani. We met through our blogs, but our worlds are actually quite connected. We started chatting. Well, actually, I started blathering on about something stupid. I was so embarassed. At that moment I felt like EVERYONE must know that my dress was on backwards. All I could think about was getting to the bathroom and remedying the situation. Dani, I think noticing my awkwardness, ended our conversation quite quickly by saying, "I don't want to hold you up on your way to the bathroom." Thank-you, Dani!
I did a quick switcheroo in the bathroom and the crisis was averted.
Today, I am feeling glum. It started yesterday and led me to spending the better part of the afternoon in my room thinking, reading, and crying.
Not sure how I am getting out of this one. I feel like shopping. Clothes don't totally fill the void, but it is strange how spending money and having new things do actually give you a (false) sense of happiness.
Yesterday was the anniversary of Tripp getting his wings. I woke up like it was a regular day. I truly believe one day doesn't need to be any more sad than any other day, but somewhere my subconscious had other plans. It started when I saw flowers at the grocery store after lunch. It made me think about how before Tripp died I thought giving flowers to family after someone dies was a waste of money. I felt like it would be better spent making a donation to a charity or something, but when Tripp died we got quite a few flowers. They filled our living room. They were so pretty and they smelled so beautiful. And just like a new o…
This summer I blogged about the Clear Flow Garden Hose from Home Hardware. If you forgot, I basically told you how great it was - super light and durable. I am too lazy for look for the old post. We bought two hoses. One for the front of the house and one for the back. Unfortunately, after only a couple of weeks, the one in the back cracked open. We couldn't find the receipt (which wasn't surprising since Hugh bought it :-), but figured we would give returning it a shot. The staff at Home Hardware in Sutherland were awesome. Hugh took it in and they immediately got him another one. Since Home Hardware is the only place that sells them, they didn't even question and made it an easy exchange for us. Home Hardware simply took the replacement out of the package and handed it over.
When Hugh got home with the hose there was a little problem. He had told the staff at Home Hardware our hose was the 25 foot and not the 50 foot. The 25 foot didn't even reach 2/3's of the wa…
At the beginning of June, with the help of a committee I'm on, I organized a street hockey tournament. It was a really great day (I'm obviously biased). There were so many kids and families involved. Other than wishing for a little less wind, I could call the day a complete success. Calder invited a few of his Huskie Prospect teammates to play. It was a fabulous time! After the event, we headed over to some friends for a bbq. A few of the kids ended up eating their suppers on the trampoline. Lawson kept standing up, so Hugh headed over to lay down the law. Just as he finished saying "You'll get a timeout if you do that again", Lawson held one finger up and said, "one". She then lifted her next two fingers and finished "two, three." Hugh could barely contain himself. Between her sassy attitude and the fact that we had no idea she could even count, let along represent those numbers, Hugh just zipped his lips and chose to walk away before he bur…