Skip to main content

My Happiness Project Week 5

This is the last week of month 1 of my Happiness Project.  As part of exercising to feel good,  I have begun monitoring how many steps I take on a daily basis with a pedometer in hopes to get myself to the 10 000 steps a day level. The idea is that 10 000 steps is about 5 miles (using the average person's stride length) and that for most people in order to get to the 5 mile mark they would have to do 30 - 60 minutes of walking/running per day on top of their daily activities.  Thirty to sixty minutes of activity is the recommended daily amount.

The first day I wore the pedometer was Friday.  It fell off when I got out of the car at home, so I only monitored my steps until approximately 4 pm.  I was at 1500 at that point--FIFTEEN HUNDRED?!?  I couldn't believe it.  I knew I hadn't had an active day, but still, it was pathetic.  We did go for a short walk after school in the rain, but I don't know if I would have even got to the 3000 mark that day.  I completely forgot about it Saturday, but got right back into it Sunday.  I was sure I was going to have no problems getting to 10 000 that day.  Hugh and I went for a run in the morning and I spent a good part of the afternoon in the yard.  When I took a final look at it before bed I was dumbfounded.  9500.  Seriously.  9500.  I began to think the 10 000 mark was impossible.  Today I went for a run as well and worked out in the yard this evening.  As I sit here typing, my pedometer reads 12 196!!!  I made it.  You may be wondering what the difference was between today and yesterday (I know I was).  I am chalking it up to the 1.5 hours of shopping/running around I did after school.  I may need to start shopping on a daily basis to get my step count up!

As I reflect on the first month of my happiness project, I think the best part is the 1 minute rule.  I seriously love it.  Oh, and I guess a bigger theme and ultimately the best part, is that I am working on being a better, happier me.  The one minute rule is a close second, though!

I put the boys to work so I could check "weed garden" off my list!

Comments

  1. Do you guys want any rhubarb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!! Our rhubarb is crap. It came up and promptly died. I don't know what the heck is wrong with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I'm wearing

After my Simons' flop, I recently picked up three pairs of jegging capris at Costco. I think they were about $16 each. I got them in grey (above), teal (also above), and white. I absolutely love them and have been wearing them like crazy. My favorite of the two outfits is the bottom one. The jean jacket is Mavi and I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I recently bought another. Exact same style, different wash. This jacket was recommended by both Deena and Christy, so you really can't go wrong. The scarf is one I picked up this spring (Gap). I heart orange and teal. Last week I mentioned trying to define my signature look and that bottom one pretty much encapsulates it. . .
And here it is again. LOVE this one too. Cardigan and scarf are recent purchases along with the grey tee (Old Navy). Jeans are old (American Eagle) and shoes are old (Nine West). I can't wait to recreate this one!
These. Jeans. (Gap). I can't get enough of them. I wore them to professional development o…

Nicknames

All of Hugh's hockey buddies call him "Hammy".

Hugh has been calling Calder "Ham" for a long time. I can't even remember when it started.

Calder started calling Boone "Bean" when he first came home from the hospital. That evolved into "Boone Dog", "The Dog", and just simply, "Dog".  Boone is not a fan of nicknames. Often after we use one of his he will say, "I not Da Dog, I just Boone." Hilarious.

Boone has called Lawson "Dawsie" from about month two. (He called her "baby" for the first two months.) Last week Boone called her Lawson for the first time ever. It took a long time for him to put the "L" on Lawson. He would repeat after us "La La La La, Dawsie". He has said "Lawson" twice since the momentous occasion last week, but I think he got too much attention for using it and has moved back to "Dawsie". "Dawsie" likely isn't going any…

Calder Update

Has Calder ever gotten into sports the last couple of months!?! Below he is at a Rush lacrosse game with Hugh and his buddy Kohen. Calder has been watching baseball, lacrosse, and now the hockey playoffs like crazy. In fact, he has stopped asking to watch any of his "shows". He just wants to watch sports. Oh. . . and add NASCAR to that list. Our boy loves his cars. I don't think that will ever change!

Here is Calder's funniest shark tooth yet. His permanent tooth pushed through in front of his baby tooth!  It was like this for weeks. No gap toothed grin for this boy! Below is the day it fell out!
Calder is doing so well in school. His teacher speaks of what a great student he is. Hearing her say these things actually makes me wish he used a few more manners and a bit more kindness at home! LOL. But, if he is going to be on his best behavior somewhere, I want it to be when we aren't around. Although it was great to hear about Calder's learning successes at pa…