My Happiness Project Week 9

On Page 57 of Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project she writes, "if you want to know how people would like to be treated, it's more helpful to look at how they themselves act than what they say." In Rubin's case, she is referring to her mother-in-law, who is quick to say she doesn't want a birthday party, but in reality always marks other peoples special occasions in thoughtful, well planned ways. This spurs Rubin to treat her mother-in-law the way she treats others and plan her a thoughtful, well planned birthday.

I actually have a bit of a head start on this from my "organization" task from Chapter 1.  I have been trying improve on sending birthday cards, shower gifts, etc. People were so thoughtful when Calder was born and when Tripp died and I want to get better at showing others that same thoughtfulness. I have sort of lagged on this in July and I am going to make a list of all the events that I still need to acknowledge and make an effort in the next few weeks to get caught up.

Rubin talks about proofs of love, stating that "whatever love I might feel in my heart, others will only see my actions." I love that quote. I have a couple of other things in mind for this, but because I don't want the people involved to be aware, I am going to keep it quiet for now.

In other Happiness Project news, I didn't run at all last week (and felt plenty of guilt about it).  I wasn't feeling well and that made for the perfect excuse. I am back on the wagon having already ran today. Deena, Heidi, Kyla and I are also doing a fitness challenge with sit-ups and push-ups starting today. I have completed day one! Feel free to join us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off