Brook and Ash


The winter after Hugh and I met, I started coaching a club volleyball team in Prince Albert.  It was an under 15 team and was comprised of a wonderful group of grade 9 girls with a bunch of terrific parents.  Hugh and I got married that summer and I never got another opportunity to coach them.  I had a strong connection with the girls, so as they continued their high school volleyball journey, I would stop by tournaments to watch and visit.  They were such a great group of girls.  I loved being able to watch them grow as players and young adults.

A gift basket arrived in one of the days following Tripp’s death in which none of our family members could identify the senders.  I remember I was sitting on the couch when someone brought me the card.  Tears welled up as I read the names.  It was from a majority of the girls I had coached in P.A. 5 years earlier.  I couldn’t believe it.  I had always known what an incredible group of girls they were but, in the moment, I was overwhelmed by how special they really are.   I remember sitting on the couch holding the card for a long time just rereading the names.  The love those girls sent me was a ray of sunshine on one of my most gloomy days.

Today, two of the girls, Brook and Ashley, were in Martensville and just DROPPED BY.  I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened the door!  I was so happy to see them and thank them in person for their thoughtful gesture.  It was great to catch up with them and give them a good hug.  They completely made my day.  They promised to stop by again and bring Kolby with them.  I am holding them to that!


5 of those wonderful girls.  From left to right, Brook, Kolby, Kristy, Ashley, and Alannah.

Comments

  1. Jordan - you are so right... those girls are fantastic. And I am not just saying that because one is my sister :) Brook and Ashley have both stayed at my house when in Calgary for volleyball or just here to have fun. It doesn't surprise me one bit that they would just stop by. What did surprise me was that Kolby wasn't with them. Where the 2 of them are she is never far behind. I am sure they will keep to their word and bring her next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great Jordan. It doesnt suprise me that as a coach you had a big impact on those girls. While coaching with you the other year I learned alot from you and also saw how much of an impact you had on the Shazam girls...

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off