A Whole Pile Of Leftovers!

My Grandma Jenny bought Hugh and I two chickens for Christmas. She has done this for a couple of years and it works out just brilliantly for us. We NEVER think to purchase a chicken to roast, but when we have them in our freezer they always get put to good use.

MEAL #1 Ol' Faithful
This included mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and corn (1 can creamed mixed with 1 can kernel). Mmm. Mmm. Mmm. I didn't take a picture, but I am sure all of you can make a pretty smashing mental imagine of this meal!

MEAL #2 Chicken Quinoa Soup
I used two recipes from all recipes.com for my guidelines. I like to make soup by letting it simmer FOREVER, frequently tasting and going with the flow. You can the guidelines I used for the broth HERE and the soup HERE. Instead of noodles I used 1/2 cup quinoa and I added red pepper and parsley.

By the time we finished the potatoes and gravy leftovers we had had enough chicken for the week, so I cut up what was left and threw it in the freezer for a rainy day. That rainy day happened to last night.

MEAL #3 Chicken Brushetta with Angel Hair Pasta

2 - 3 cups cubed chicken
1 teaspoon salt
1 large can diced tomatoes (796 ml)
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon garlic
1 box stovetop stuffing
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

Mix the tomatoes, water, garlic, and stuffing. Let stand. Spray casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer chicken (sprinkle with salt), cheese, Italian seasoning, and tomato/stuffing mixture. Bake uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

This took about 5 minutes to throw together (and that included washing the tin for recycling and wiping the counters!). I served it over capelli d'angelo pasta. This is one of my favourite recipes. 

Comments

  1. That soup looks delicious! I love quinoa, eat it almost daily (bought a 25 lb bulk bag of quinoa 2 months ago, not realizing just how much quinoa that really is...lol...turns out it is A LOT). Pot Barley would also be a good substitute for the noodles:) Mmmmmmiam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love quinoa!!! My boys aren't so fond of it but I could easily hide it in soup :). So glad to have a sime recipe for my return to work! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm simple, not sime

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the nicest wooden spoon I have ever seen!

    Jes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

Calder