The Velveteen Rabbit

Our counsellor has been suggesting we read The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams for the last 10 months. After our session in December I thought it was time to read it. If Brad thought it was good enough to suggest we read it at nearly every session, we needed to.

The Velveteen Rabbit is a children's book about toys being Real or maybe more so about them becoming Real.


"What is Real?" asked the Rabbit one day.


"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long, time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."


"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.


"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are REAL you don't mind being hurt."

I cried. I'm not sure if it was that sad or if I just wanted a moment to be sad. The Velveteen Rabbit will always remind me of Tripp, because he was the reason we were introduced to it. It is a book about the importance of love and I look forward to the day Calder is old enough that I can share The Velveteen Rabbit with him.

Unable are the loved to die.  For love is immortality.  ~Emily Dickinson




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

Calder