Skip to main content

8 minutes

I am sitting behind my desk at work deeply immersed in creating a new unit for my Foundations 20 class. The clock says 4:07. Crap. I'm late. I needed to leave at precisely 4:00 to arrive at Calder's daycare by 4:30.

I slam my textbook shut. If I'm lucky I will have remembered to save my work. I flip my laptop closed and grab my coat. I walk at an Olympic speed walker's pace down the hall. I can hear my grade 3 teacher as I do, "swing those hips, you can walk faster!" Once I reach the doors to the parking lot I start running. Fast. For some reason it seems silly to run inside, but once outside it doesn't matter how silly I look.  This girl can motor pretty fast in 2 inch heels.

I fire up the loser cruiser and put it in reverse. I look in my rearview mirror, but don't do any kind of shoulder check. There isn't time.

Traffic is completely an utterly annoying. I am ready to lose. my. mind. I have a death grip on the steering wheel and barely stop myself from flipping the bird to a totally innocent driver who decided to signal a bit too late for my liking.

I hit every red light. I get wedged behind a semi only to get freed and stuck behind someone making a left hand turn. It's 4:24. I am still 10 minutes from home. I turn off the radio. I can't stand to hear people talk, let alone listen to that stupid "Canadian Girls" song that everyone else seems to like.

I dodge and weave around cars, trucks, and SUVs as I cruise down the highway on the home stretch. I don't speed. Let me re-phrase. I don't speed THAT much. I take a calculated risk that when the speed limit is 110 km/h I can go 118 km/h. I'm late, so I push 120 km/h.

I pull into Calder's daycare at 4:35. I am exhausted and there might even be a bit of steam coming out of my ears.

Lets rewind.

I am sitting behind my desk at work deeply immersed in creating a new unit for my Foundations 20 class. The clock says 3:59.

I close my textbook and put away all of the work spread out on my desk. I gather pencils and pens and save the work open on my computer. I grab my coat and head for the door. As I head down the hall I stop at the couple open classroom doors and wave good-bye to my coworkers and wish them a good evening.

I hop in the van and head out. Traffic is the same it always is. Hit a bunch of red lights and get stuck behind the occasional semi. I crank up the radio and sing along to my new favourite song, "Springsteen" by Eric Church. When "Canadian Girls" comes on I just flip to another station.

I spend my drive thinking about what is left for me to do at work, what I need to do when I get home, and maybe even what I am going to write about that evening.

I pull into Calder's daycare at 4:28. I am happy and relaxed. Excited for my busy evening at home.
• • •

It's amazing to me how 8 minutes can completely change my mind set. 


Once I'm late, I'm late. There is nothing that is going to change that fact. Yet somehow I can't seem to let go of the anger and annoyance at myself. I hate being late. . . but I am FAR from perfect, so it happens. 


Here's to working on forgiving myself immediately for being late. Nothing is gained by all the negative self-talk and anger that comes with it. White knuckles and swearing at the elderly are not good for anyone!


Have a good drive home from work today! I hope you're on time!



Comments

  1. I could've written this post. Oh man, how I completely understand!! I like to think that I can make up the time if I'm very focused and intent... which just ends up backfiring... of course! :)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand this post. One would think being a stay at home mom makes it easier to time things, but with Jax being so unpredictable, I sometimes am late for things with Jaiden and Emme. I HATE being late, and I totally feel awful when I am. I am positive I judge myself harder than any people I may inconvenience. Most of the time I overcompensate and am early now, but sometimes I am realizing there is nothing you can do about certain situations:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cleverly written, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I'm wearing

After my Simons' flop, I recently picked up three pairs of jegging capris at Costco. I think they were about $16 each. I got them in grey (above), teal (also above), and white. I absolutely love them and have been wearing them like crazy. My favorite of the two outfits is the bottom one. The jean jacket is Mavi and I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I recently bought another. Exact same style, different wash. This jacket was recommended by both Deena and Christy, so you really can't go wrong. The scarf is one I picked up this spring (Gap). I heart orange and teal. Last week I mentioned trying to define my signature look and that bottom one pretty much encapsulates it. . .
And here it is again. LOVE this one too. Cardigan and scarf are recent purchases along with the grey tee (Old Navy). Jeans are old (American Eagle) and shoes are old (Nine West). I can't wait to recreate this one!
These. Jeans. (Gap). I can't get enough of them. I wore them to professional development o…

Calder Update

Has Calder ever gotten into sports the last couple of months!?! Below he is at a Rush lacrosse game with Hugh and his buddy Kohen. Calder has been watching baseball, lacrosse, and now the hockey playoffs like crazy. In fact, he has stopped asking to watch any of his "shows". He just wants to watch sports. Oh. . . and add NASCAR to that list. Our boy loves his cars. I don't think that will ever change!

Here is Calder's funniest shark tooth yet. His permanent tooth pushed through in front of his baby tooth!  It was like this for weeks. No gap toothed grin for this boy! Below is the day it fell out!
Calder is doing so well in school. His teacher speaks of what a great student he is. Hearing her say these things actually makes me wish he used a few more manners and a bit more kindness at home! LOL. But, if he is going to be on his best behavior somewhere, I want it to be when we aren't around. Although it was great to hear about Calder's learning successes at pa…

Nicknames

All of Hugh's hockey buddies call him "Hammy".

Hugh has been calling Calder "Ham" for a long time. I can't even remember when it started.

Calder started calling Boone "Bean" when he first came home from the hospital. That evolved into "Boone Dog", "The Dog", and just simply, "Dog".  Boone is not a fan of nicknames. Often after we use one of his he will say, "I not Da Dog, I just Boone." Hilarious.

Boone has called Lawson "Dawsie" from about month two. (He called her "baby" for the first two months.) Last week Boone called her Lawson for the first time ever. It took a long time for him to put the "L" on Lawson. He would repeat after us "La La La La, Dawsie". He has said "Lawson" twice since the momentous occasion last week, but I think he got too much attention for using it and has moved back to "Dawsie". "Dawsie" likely isn't going any…