Skip to main content

Everybody's Got A Story

Last Thursday we did The Terry Fox Run at my school and for a treat I walked with my grade 9's to Tim Hortons. The man behind me in line started chatting with me. At first I was polite, but quite short. I have never really liked small talk and since Tripp died I seem to like it even less. It only took a few moments for my attitude to change. The man starting saying that making small talk in line helps the time pass quicker. A spotlight hit me in the face. We are all connected and this man is trying to connect. We chatted for the 3 minutes and parted ways with a smile.


The man had come into Tim Hortons carrying one of those zip up portfolios. He had a beard and a dirty ball hat on. My first impression was that he possibly owned a business in a trade. The longer we stood there and the more we talked, I began to wonder if he was unemployed. Then I questioned if he was even homeless. 


I don't know his story and I have been thinking a lot about this.


When Tripp first died I wanted, in a lot of ways, to wear a sign that read, "My Baby Died." I kept thinking, people don't know what a big deal it is that I am even out of bed.  


Lately, I have been wondering about what other people's signs say. People go to Walmart, Tims, and the post office everyday. Some of those people are going through a divorce, some of them have parents with cancer, some of those people are like me. 


Sometimes the look on our face is just a mask. I have started looking at people closer, wondering, what is your story?


Amanda Marshall's song Everybody's Got a Story, has been popping into my head.


See my eyes, don't see what I see
Touch my tongue, don't know what tastes good to me
It's the human condition that keeps us apart
Everybody's got a story that could break your heart




Comments

  1. Ever since my story began (my son was diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease in April) - I think about that quite often. I wonder what other people have going on. I'm just a regular person - out doing regular things with a crazy thing happening at home. There have got to be a lot of stories out there.

    Hearing about your story helps me through mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Karen. I am so sorry to hear that. I can not imagine what you are going through.

    I am glad my story helps you with yours. Hugh and I often talk about the difference between our grieving processes. I am like you. I find hearing about other people's stories helping and often times comforting as well.

    If you blog, I would love to read.

    Take care. You will definitely be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I am sorry to hear that as well.

    On the lighter side of this topic:

    I always think this when I am driving. I found it helped with my anger management. I always try to imagine what possible reason the person in front of me has for driving like they are! I find when I try to imagine what another person is going through, I am more understanding.

    Jes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mean to be a downer with the whole Tay-Sachs thing. I feel that often happens when I talk about Oliver. I want people to know about him, but I don't want to bring it up.

    That being said, a little story was done about Oliver on the news the other week.

    http://www.globalsaskatoon.com/olivers+story/6442491100/story.html

    Kind of funny.. your blog 'Everybody's Got A Story'.. and I link to 'Oliver's Story'. Anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,

    You're not a downer by mentioning Tay-Sachs. I'm glad you shared. I will read your link. I wanted to share my anger management story and didn't know how to lead in.

    Jes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames

All of Hugh's hockey buddies call him "Hammy".

Hugh has been calling Calder "Ham" for a long time. I can't even remember when it started.

Calder started calling Boone "Bean" when he first came home from the hospital. That evolved into "Boone Dog", "The Dog", and just simply, "Dog".  Boone is not a fan of nicknames. Often after we use one of his he will say, "I not Da Dog, I just Boone." Hilarious.

Boone has called Lawson "Dawsie" from about month two. (He called her "baby" for the first two months.) Last week Boone called her Lawson for the first time ever. It took a long time for him to put the "L" on Lawson. He would repeat after us "La La La La, Dawsie". He has said "Lawson" twice since the momentous occasion last week, but I think he got too much attention for using it and has moved back to "Dawsie". "Dawsie" likely isn't going any…

What I'm wearing

After my Simons' flop, I recently picked up three pairs of jegging capris at Costco. I think they were about $16 each. I got them in grey (above), teal (also above), and white. I absolutely love them and have been wearing them like crazy. My favorite of the two outfits is the bottom one. The jean jacket is Mavi and I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I recently bought another. Exact same style, different wash. This jacket was recommended by both Deena and Christy, so you really can't go wrong. The scarf is one I picked up this spring (Gap). I heart orange and teal. Last week I mentioned trying to define my signature look and that bottom one pretty much encapsulates it. . .
And here it is again. LOVE this one too. Cardigan and scarf are recent purchases along with the grey tee (Old Navy). Jeans are old (American Eagle) and shoes are old (Nine West). I can't wait to recreate this one!
These. Jeans. (Gap). I can't get enough of them. I wore them to professional development o…

Calder Update

Has Calder ever gotten into sports the last couple of months!?! Below he is at a Rush lacrosse game with Hugh and his buddy Kohen. Calder has been watching baseball, lacrosse, and now the hockey playoffs like crazy. In fact, he has stopped asking to watch any of his "shows". He just wants to watch sports. Oh. . . and add NASCAR to that list. Our boy loves his cars. I don't think that will ever change!

Here is Calder's funniest shark tooth yet. His permanent tooth pushed through in front of his baby tooth!  It was like this for weeks. No gap toothed grin for this boy! Below is the day it fell out!
Calder is doing so well in school. His teacher speaks of what a great student he is. Hearing her say these things actually makes me wish he used a few more manners and a bit more kindness at home! LOL. But, if he is going to be on his best behavior somewhere, I want it to be when we aren't around. Although it was great to hear about Calder's learning successes at pa…