Skip to main content

Return to NICU

We had a meeting on Monday with the doctor that will be looking after our baby. It is the same doctor that looked after Tripp. He knows our story. Maybe not shocking, but when we first sat down to meet with him, he didn't know who we were. It wasn't until he opened our chart and read for a few seconds that he said, "Are you the same Hamiltons?" that he realized that we were Tripp's parents. After that he poured out detail after detail about Tripp. It made us feel good. Following Tripp's death we had some grievances with the hospital, but none of them had anything to do with the care Tripp received. Interestingly enough, the doctor remembered and addressed each of the concerns we had had and even gave some examples of how they have fixed things since. He also showed frustration with a few of the things we were frustrated with. It really validated how we felt when dealing with this stuff the year after Tripp died. It also made us happy to think that we may have prevented a few parents from the same frustrations we had.

Ultimately, we felt that Tripp's doctor (Dr. S) was an incredibly smart man who cared deeply about helping our son. We are glad he is going to be on our team once again.

The whole idea of meeting with Dr. S was to come up with a plan for once the baby arrives. We spoke with him about a number of the things we would like to see and from that there were some questions that Dr. S couldn't answer. He was in contact with Dr. Whitington (The Neonatal Hemochromatosis doctor from Chicago) after Tripp passed away and Dr. S said he would email him immediately to make sure we are doing things exactly the way we should. Because of my history of pre-term babies (Tripp at 35 weeks and Calder at 36) Dr. S said he would get the plan finalized in the next few days.

He then suggested we take a trip up to NICU. He even suggested that we take a few trips in the next couple of weeks to get feeling a little more comfortable, since we haven't been back since Tripp died. I hadn't prepared myself for doing this. In fact, I thought I was doing pretty well just going to the hospital by myself last week (that was the first time I've done it since Tripp died - I usually get Hugh to come with me). I started crying upon the suggestion, but Dr. S was right. The more I go, the less painful it will be.

We went upstairs and passed the room where Tripp died. I looked, but didn't get emotional. Dr. S was with us and was telling us about a nurse we worked with. I did my best to focus on his words - but don't ask me what he said. We met with a nurse (I can't remember her title - I want to call her the head nurse - but I'm not sure that is right). She already knew our story, but asked us some questions and shed some tears with me.

Going in to NICU was overwhelming. Tears came pouring out. Hugh gripped my hand a little tighter. We glanced at the bay Tripp was in, but we didn't stop. I pulled Hugh through the unit. I was bawling and people were staring. I saw moms smiling, holding their babies and I couldn't help but feel how lucky they were. I wondered if they knew how lucky they were. I suspect they probably do and that seeing me walk through bawling solidified that truth.

We might have been on the unit for 20 seconds. I know I should go back, but I don't want to. It was really emotional. I had an ugly cry Monday night. That place just brought back so many memories. I don't want to go back there, not to prepare, and especially not to visit this baby. All I can do is hope that our baby is one of the 30% that aren't affected by NH and we don't have to.

I will let you know the plan for this baby's arrival when it has been ironed out. I am really happy with the framework - so now it is just a matter of getting the fine details sorted out.


  1. Jordan, I know that there is only one Dr. S - and he is the most passionate neonatologist at the hospital. He is devoted to his patients and their families, and is constantly involved in research and differnt studies to improve the care that is provided in the NICU. I think that you are in great hands.

  2. I am thinking about you guys all the time! I am anxious to hear baby is here and everything is all right.

    You are so strong Jordan!

  3. You have my hope and prayers and energy that you have to spend as little time in NICU as possible. <3 Lots of love to you all...


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I'm wearing

After my Simons' flop, I recently picked up three pairs of jegging capris at Costco. I think they were about $16 each. I got them in grey (above), teal (also above), and white. I absolutely love them and have been wearing them like crazy. My favorite of the two outfits is the bottom one. The jean jacket is Mavi and I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I recently bought another. Exact same style, different wash. This jacket was recommended by both Deena and Christy, so you really can't go wrong. The scarf is one I picked up this spring (Gap). I heart orange and teal. Last week I mentioned trying to define my signature look and that bottom one pretty much encapsulates it. . .
And here it is again. LOVE this one too. Cardigan and scarf are recent purchases along with the grey tee (Old Navy). Jeans are old (American Eagle) and shoes are old (Nine West). I can't wait to recreate this one!
These. Jeans. (Gap). I can't get enough of them. I wore them to professional development o…

Calder Update

Has Calder ever gotten into sports the last couple of months!?! Below he is at a Rush lacrosse game with Hugh and his buddy Kohen. Calder has been watching baseball, lacrosse, and now the hockey playoffs like crazy. In fact, he has stopped asking to watch any of his "shows". He just wants to watch sports. Oh. . . and add NASCAR to that list. Our boy loves his cars. I don't think that will ever change!

Here is Calder's funniest shark tooth yet. His permanent tooth pushed through in front of his baby tooth!  It was like this for weeks. No gap toothed grin for this boy! Below is the day it fell out!
Calder is doing so well in school. His teacher speaks of what a great student he is. Hearing her say these things actually makes me wish he used a few more manners and a bit more kindness at home! LOL. But, if he is going to be on his best behavior somewhere, I want it to be when we aren't around. Although it was great to hear about Calder's learning successes at pa…


All of Hugh's hockey buddies call him "Hammy".

Hugh has been calling Calder "Ham" for a long time. I can't even remember when it started.

Calder started calling Boone "Bean" when he first came home from the hospital. That evolved into "Boone Dog", "The Dog", and just simply, "Dog".  Boone is not a fan of nicknames. Often after we use one of his he will say, "I not Da Dog, I just Boone." Hilarious.

Boone has called Lawson "Dawsie" from about month two. (He called her "baby" for the first two months.) Last week Boone called her Lawson for the first time ever. It took a long time for him to put the "L" on Lawson. He would repeat after us "La La La La, Dawsie". He has said "Lawson" twice since the momentous occasion last week, but I think he got too much attention for using it and has moved back to "Dawsie". "Dawsie" likely isn't going any…