Skip to main content

2 weeks

8:29 am

At this time in 2 weeks I will be sitting at my desk, waiting for students to arrive. Some may even already be in my classroom. They won't be talking. They will be nervous that someone new is seated at the front of the room. When the bell rings and students flood in I will have my first look at my new day. These will be the teenagers I get to spend my time with while I am away from my favorite 2 little men.

Over the past year I have made a note on my phone called "Teaching". From time to time I have jotted down ideas and thoughts on education and things I want to do in my classroom. The very top point is my favorite, "More than anything, care about every student." I remember the article I read that made me write that. In elementary school Calder and Boone will spend more time during the week with their teachers than they will with us. Above all, I want my kids to feel love. Love from us, love from their friends, and love from their teachers. As much as I want them to meet every outcome and a whole pile of indicators, I want them to connect with the place they spend their days and the best way for this to happen is for them to feel cared for by the ones they spend most of their time with - their teachers. In two weeks from now, I get to be one of those people who care about your kids when you don't get to be there to love them in person. It is a pretty amazing job.

That being said, loving the heck out of my own boys at home is a pretty amazing job too, but for a big chunk of the day that will now be someone else's job. When people ask me about my daycare provider, M, the first thing I usually say, is that she lives right down the street from us. That usually invokes a "You are so lucky." Secondly I tell them that the woman that looks after our kids is awesome and that I am confident that our boys are loved while they are there. This usually invokes a "You are REALLY lucky." I really should tell the two things the other way around. I would easily drive across town to drop my kids off somewhere they feel loved. Love over location any day.

I had a little bit of a panic last night as I gathered things for Boone to have at daycare. The boys are going 2 days this week and 3 days next week. I called M to tell her about Boone's days and as I spoke I realized how easy he is. He will be fine there. He has a good schedule and M is a seasoned veteran. And above all, I know she will love the heck out of him while she has him (She also has 3 daughters who I KNOW will love the heck out of him too! When they're not at school, of course!)

I feel confident about my decision to go back to work. That's not to say it won't be hard and there won't be tears. That's also not to say it won't be great.

Happy Monday.

Comments

  1. Looking forward to seeing you in period one! Enjoy the last two weeks!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks Jennifer! So happy we are teamed up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there were more teachers like you. Who realize how important it is to love your students. Good luck next week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I'm wearing

After my Simons' flop, I recently picked up three pairs of jegging capris at Costco. I think they were about $16 each. I got them in grey (above), teal (also above), and white. I absolutely love them and have been wearing them like crazy. My favorite of the two outfits is the bottom one. The jean jacket is Mavi and I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I recently bought another. Exact same style, different wash. This jacket was recommended by both Deena and Christy, so you really can't go wrong. The scarf is one I picked up this spring (Gap). I heart orange and teal. Last week I mentioned trying to define my signature look and that bottom one pretty much encapsulates it. . .
And here it is again. LOVE this one too. Cardigan and scarf are recent purchases along with the grey tee (Old Navy). Jeans are old (American Eagle) and shoes are old (Nine West). I can't wait to recreate this one!
These. Jeans. (Gap). I can't get enough of them. I wore them to professional development o…

Nicknames

All of Hugh's hockey buddies call him "Hammy".

Hugh has been calling Calder "Ham" for a long time. I can't even remember when it started.

Calder started calling Boone "Bean" when he first came home from the hospital. That evolved into "Boone Dog", "The Dog", and just simply, "Dog".  Boone is not a fan of nicknames. Often after we use one of his he will say, "I not Da Dog, I just Boone." Hilarious.

Boone has called Lawson "Dawsie" from about month two. (He called her "baby" for the first two months.) Last week Boone called her Lawson for the first time ever. It took a long time for him to put the "L" on Lawson. He would repeat after us "La La La La, Dawsie". He has said "Lawson" twice since the momentous occasion last week, but I think he got too much attention for using it and has moved back to "Dawsie". "Dawsie" likely isn't going any…

Calder Update

Has Calder ever gotten into sports the last couple of months!?! Below he is at a Rush lacrosse game with Hugh and his buddy Kohen. Calder has been watching baseball, lacrosse, and now the hockey playoffs like crazy. In fact, he has stopped asking to watch any of his "shows". He just wants to watch sports. Oh. . . and add NASCAR to that list. Our boy loves his cars. I don't think that will ever change!

Here is Calder's funniest shark tooth yet. His permanent tooth pushed through in front of his baby tooth!  It was like this for weeks. No gap toothed grin for this boy! Below is the day it fell out!
Calder is doing so well in school. His teacher speaks of what a great student he is. Hearing her say these things actually makes me wish he used a few more manners and a bit more kindness at home! LOL. But, if he is going to be on his best behavior somewhere, I want it to be when we aren't around. Although it was great to hear about Calder's learning successes at pa…