Skip to main content


I woke up Friday with a cold. It had been taunting me the previous couple of days, but on Friday it officially arrived. Unfortunately, it also arrived for Boone. Nevertheless, the boys and I had plans so in the morning we loaded up the van and headed to Elk Ridge to meet Hugh (he was already there for meetings). We had a great day together as a family touring Waskesiu. The weather was beautiful and Calder, along with Hugh and I, got quite a kick out of all the wild life we saw.

Friday night my throat was killing me. My nose was a faucet and I know Boone felt the same. He got up four different times during the night hurting and unable to breathe (he typically sleeps through the night). When Saturday morning arrived all I wanted to do was pack up our stuff and head back to our couch. Luckily for me, Hugh got up with the boys. I put some ear phones in, turned on my white noise app and caught a few more z's.

When I got up for the day I felt slightly better, but still debated skipping the run. In fact, I even asked Hugh if he wanted to run in my place! In the end I realized that I would feel guilty and possibly regret not giving the run a try, so we loaded up the boys and headed to the start line. At that point, just completing the run was the goal.

By the time I got to the race the fresh air and atmosphere got me in the right frame of mind. It was gorgeous out and the location was beautiful. The course was very hilly and was glad to have heard that before that hand. It got me in the right frame of mind. I did very well the first half of the race. I was keeping my 6 min/km pace that I like to run. The hills and my cold took a bit of the control on the second part. I finished the race in 31:30, but was very proud to have completed the race running the entire time.

I would definitely do a run like this again. There were people everywhere, but it wasn't hard to pass people and it was great that everyone was running or running/walking around me. The course was hilly, but it was gorgeous! I love running on trails - especially through the bush!

I have taken a few days off running, but looking forward to getting back to it when this cold passes!

Happy Tuesday!


  1. GOOD FOR YOU!! Wow.. you're incredible. There was NO WAY I've have gone if I was feeling rotten. I couldn't even make myself get on the eliptical! :s :)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I'm wearing

After my Simons' flop, I recently picked up three pairs of jegging capris at Costco. I think they were about $16 each. I got them in grey (above), teal (also above), and white. I absolutely love them and have been wearing them like crazy. My favorite of the two outfits is the bottom one. The jean jacket is Mavi and I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, I recently bought another. Exact same style, different wash. This jacket was recommended by both Deena and Christy, so you really can't go wrong. The scarf is one I picked up this spring (Gap). I heart orange and teal. Last week I mentioned trying to define my signature look and that bottom one pretty much encapsulates it. . .
And here it is again. LOVE this one too. Cardigan and scarf are recent purchases along with the grey tee (Old Navy). Jeans are old (American Eagle) and shoes are old (Nine West). I can't wait to recreate this one!
These. Jeans. (Gap). I can't get enough of them. I wore them to professional development o…


All of Hugh's hockey buddies call him "Hammy".

Hugh has been calling Calder "Ham" for a long time. I can't even remember when it started.

Calder started calling Boone "Bean" when he first came home from the hospital. That evolved into "Boone Dog", "The Dog", and just simply, "Dog".  Boone is not a fan of nicknames. Often after we use one of his he will say, "I not Da Dog, I just Boone." Hilarious.

Boone has called Lawson "Dawsie" from about month two. (He called her "baby" for the first two months.) Last week Boone called her Lawson for the first time ever. It took a long time for him to put the "L" on Lawson. He would repeat after us "La La La La, Dawsie". He has said "Lawson" twice since the momentous occasion last week, but I think he got too much attention for using it and has moved back to "Dawsie". "Dawsie" likely isn't going any…

Calder Update

Has Calder ever gotten into sports the last couple of months!?! Below he is at a Rush lacrosse game with Hugh and his buddy Kohen. Calder has been watching baseball, lacrosse, and now the hockey playoffs like crazy. In fact, he has stopped asking to watch any of his "shows". He just wants to watch sports. Oh. . . and add NASCAR to that list. Our boy loves his cars. I don't think that will ever change!

Here is Calder's funniest shark tooth yet. His permanent tooth pushed through in front of his baby tooth!  It was like this for weeks. No gap toothed grin for this boy! Below is the day it fell out!
Calder is doing so well in school. His teacher speaks of what a great student he is. Hearing her say these things actually makes me wish he used a few more manners and a bit more kindness at home! LOL. But, if he is going to be on his best behavior somewhere, I want it to be when we aren't around. Although it was great to hear about Calder's learning successes at pa…