I couldn't help myself. Phil Robertson.

If you haven't heard about Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson's anti-gay remarks, then you probably aren't on Facebook and must not have seen the news or read the paper for a few days.

Here is exactly what he said from the Huffington Post:


“It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man’s anus," Robertson told GQ. "That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”
“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine," he later added. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men. Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”
You can read the whole GQ article HERE.
A&E, the station that airs Duck Dynasty, has suspended Phil Robertson for the remarks. In response, the entire Duck Dynasty family may be leaving A&E. The public is up in arms from Robertson supporters to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender advocates. 
Here's what I think. Phil Robertson has every right to believe what he wants. He has every right to say what he believes (provided it does not harm anyone else). He also is free to use the bible to support his beliefs. 
A vocal group of people are angered that A&E suspended Robertson for stating his opinion, but if Phil Robertson were representing me, I would have done the same thing.
As a high school teacher I have often told students that when they are out of the building at a school function they are representing our school. This means that students must conduct themselves within the rules and beliefs of the school while at the tournament, conference, etc. Phil Robertson works for A&E and in my opinion he represents them when he speaks to the media. If, like me, A&E doesn't appreciate the indirect comparison of homosexuality to bestiality, then it is within their rights to suspend him. 
I don't agree with what Phil Robertson thinks. Not even a little bit. But we are all entitled to our own opinions. In fact, I wish that Phil Robertson would have chose different words. I think there was a more respectful way of getting his view point out there. And I think that if he had chose different words A&E may have been able to respect the difference of opinions (I know I would have been able to, anyway). Sometimes what we say, even if it is our belief, has implications.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off