Calder's Mishaps. Part 1.


Our treadmill is in the corner of our basement with the end of the tread butted up against a wall. On Friday I was doing my last run of the week. Seemingly out of nowhere, Calder was standing on the far side of the treadmill, closest to the wall, asking for a drink of my water. When Calder finished, I put the glass back up on the ledge. It wasn't until he jumped over the tread to get back to his monster trucks that I realized that he had leaped across the moving tread in order to stand near the wall and have a drink of water. My first thought was to tell him not to do that again, but I was obviously a bit tired, because I figured now that he had a drink that he wouldn't do it again. Come to think of it, I must have been REALLY tired, because Calder loves doing "stunts" like that. I really should have said something. Needless to say, about 30 seconds after he had jumped across, I heard him screaming behind me. Calder had tried to jump across again, only this time was unsuccessful. He was laying in the fetal position at the bottom of the track pinched up against the wall. The tread was burning the skin right off of him. My first instinct was to pick him up, but after doing a quick turn around I realized that I couldn't pick him up with the tread moving. I immediately turned back and started hammering the stop button. I scooped my hysterical boy into my arms and cradled him on the couch. I was in tears. Calder was in tears. It was a very scary moment.  

Meanwhile, as Calder's screams were coming from the end of the treadmill, Boone decided he was going to wake up early from his nap and started screaming upstairs. It took me almost 5 minutes to get Calder's tears dried and fix up the lone scrape on his right leg before I could rescue Boone from his bed. I left Calder in the basement and promised to be back as soon as possible.

I had spent about 2 minutes with Boone when Calder started crying again. And crying hard. I knew immediately what happened. He found another spot of skin that had been burned off. Calder made his way up the stairs and snuggled into me on my bed. I slipped one arm around his sobbing shoulders as I cradled a screaming Boone in the other arm. What a mess!


These are the injuries he didn't realize he had at first! A couple of the bruises are from something else - along with one of the scrapes on his leg. Seriously, son. How did you not feel this at first! The two on his feet just started healing and it has been a week and a half since the incident!

Comments

  1. Ouch! Poor guy and poor you too.
    It reminds me of an incident Sean had with the treadmill, but he was 10 or 12...can't remember exactly... decided running barefoot was a good idea...and of course was not using the safety pin to shut it off...slipped and burned a lot of skin off his feet!
    He of course was very sore and it was December...all he could wear on his feet were sandals.
    I am sure Calder will be cautious around treadmills from now on. Give him a big hug.
    Love Aunty Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH!!! Poor little man!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see Sean this summer! I know Calder will think it is pretty neat that he isn't the only one who's a treadmill accident! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off