Butternut Squash Soup

My sister, Jes, bought a butternut squash in July and brought it to the lake. It never got eaten, so when it was time to close up the cabin in late September, I brought it home. It sat on a shelf in the pantry until Monday when I made some delicious soup. The timing was perfect as my sister and her boyfriend were coming for lunch!  I can not get over how long the squash stayed good.

This recipe was taken from www.allrecipes.com. Here is the direct link. After reading the reviews, this is exact recipe for the soup I made:

2 tablespoons margarine
1 small onion
1 carrot
1 stalk of celery
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 butternut squash
1 box of beef stock
Sour cream.

Half butternut squash. Place it in a casserole dish with a bit of water. Microwave for appoximately 15 minutes.

Finely chop onion, carrot, and celery (I used my small Kitchen Aid food processor - I can't cook without it!). Add to large pot with melted margarine. Saute.

Peel and cube sweet potato. Add to sauteed vegetables. Cover with beef stock. Scoop cooked butternut squash into pot. Cover and let simmer until all vegetables are soft. Use a hand blender to puree.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream.



I would love to hear your favorite fall recipes. This will definitely be added to mine!

Comments

  1. Yum! I love butternut squash soup. We usually add some curry and spice it up a bit, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big fan of butternut squash soup! I make mine with chicken soup stock, apples, heavy cream, a touch of nutmeg and pepper. It is delicious and perfect for chilly fall days! Paired with freshly made buns and it is the ultimate comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, a number of the people who commented mentioned they added curry - I might have to pick some up and give it a go!

    Kelly, apples sounds like a great addition! I will definitely keep that in mind for next time.

    As I was eating the soup I couldn't help but think it would make ideal baby food!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off