What I really, Really, REALLY want to do

These are the things I really, Really, REALLY want to do.

I want to finish my 2011 photo album (no that is not a typo, I mean 2011!), I want to catch up on all my video editing (I'm 6 months behind), I want to clean out a closet downstairs and re-organize the utility room, I want to put away all my summer clothes (because as much as I love my cute Costco skorts, it is way too cold to wear them, not to mention the fact that they are beginning to be a bit snug!), I want to overhaul Calder's toys and put away all those he doesn't use (last night he actually volunteered to give a whole bin of plastic Tonka trucks to the baby - even Calder is feeling the need to purge!), I want to write a thank-you card and send a baby gift, I want to get inspired and try to write inspiring things, and lastly, I want to call all the people in my life I have been meaning to call, but just haven't made the time.

And the time when I am most motivated to really, Really, REALLY do all of these things?

At work.

You see, when I get home I am exhausted. In fact, some nights it is hard to even get supper going (thank-goodness for meal planning, leftovers, and a fabulous husband who is carrying more than his fair share of the weight around the house). By the time we put Calder to bed (somewhere between 7 pm and 7:30 pm), I am ready to hit the couch and watch a show.

I need a holiday to get some of this stuff done. Oh wait. I just had a holiday.

To be fair, I couldn't do the computer stuff over the summer, because my computer was on the fritz. I also was NOT ready at the end of summer to put away all those cute skorts. I just thought about doing the purging, cleaning, and re-organizing in the last week (I am blaming Kelle Hampton for this). These things do shorten the list of things I could have done on my holiday, but it doesn't totally eliminate them.

I think my problem this summer was two-fold.

#1 I didn't have a routine.
For me a routine gives my day structure and for whatever reason, the structure brings on motivation to use my time wisely and get crap done!

#2 I didn't make a list.
Shouldn't have been the end of the world, but for me crossing things off a list can help me organize my life, therefore helping me to organize my time better.

I wonder if I will remember these two critical items next summer? 

Nevertheless, I feel like I need a good run of some full days at home to start getting stuff done. I will look foward to my next free weekend (Sept. 29). In the meantime, I will make the list and do my best to use some of my non-tired, commitment-free, weekend time to start checking a few things off. I will also make Hugh a list and place a number of my items on his list (we are a team, right?).

And if that doesn't work, I will just keep asking myself . . . Is it Christmas yet? ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another embarassing one

Guest Post Luke: Men at Ikea

4 hours off